Thursday, January 14, 2016

Surpassing Greatness


Philippians 3:3b-9
But everything that was a gain to me, I have considered to be a loss because of Christ.  More than that, I also consider everything to be a loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (v. 7-8)

I'm not sure if this is a proper application of this passage but here are my thoughts:
Suppose I had an event to go to that was enjoyable, profitable, and so on . . . but it happened to be on the same day as a family wedding.  I would hands down choose the family wedding and miss going to the other event. It would not be as if there was anything wrong with the other event but the value of the wedding would surpass that of the event.  

Paul had a lot going for him.  He was circumcised--showing a heritage of obedience (and it was both to the national law and also religious regulations).  He had a claim to Israel through Benjamin.  He was not just a follower of the Bible, but a scholar and a teacher, not just a believer but one who took action, and with fervor.  

I may have been raised in church or to be a good human being, I may be an American--even a Daughter of the American Revolution, I may have perfect attendance awards from Sunday school or a gift Bible from Awana scripture memorization, I may volunteer and give money to charity.

But none of that will ensure that I will know the Truth.  Those are good things, but they have limited value.  Their primary value is in leading me to Christ. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with any of that . . . but if it happens to be the same day as my family wedding  . . .  my choice is a no-brainer.  I would consider them as of no value if they didn't lead me to knowing Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment