Thursday, June 30, 2016

My Hospital Stay Part 3: What's Worse Than Miserable?

By the 4th day, my original issues appeared to be nonexistent and replaced with issues that seem to have been caused by being admitted.  This hospital stay was really taking a toll on me. 

I missed participating in many church and community events that I was scheduled for and looking forward to.  I didn't like my life going on without me!(16) 

I was only able to wash up from a basin the first few days (17) and once had a doctor walk in on me with his entourage while I was still undressed! (18)  What is the point of closing the curtain then?   The only thing they had to offer me to wash my hair was a shower cap with built-in soap that you don't rinse out.   It was barely better than doing nothing.   After the infection was under control and the IV antibiotic wasn't running, I was permitted to take a shower, but it was quite an ordeal.  They had to cover my IV site with plastic and tape it up.(19)

I developed a runny nose, dry lips & mouth and sore throat which I imagine was from their air conditioning system.   My skin felt tight and dry.  (20-22) I was by the window which was nice except you had to be right at it to see anything but sky and of course it was sealed up so no fresh air.

Still the headache, heartburn, and terrible pain in my back.  After they ruled out or reversed a kidney infection, they started looking at my gall bladder as a potential cause.  There was a slightly elevated number on my liver enzymes.  So (with no warning) I was put on a clear liquid diet.  (23)  And not long after that NPO--nothing by mouth--and then told I'd have a consult with a surgeon about removing my gall bladder!   Yikes, surgery??(24)


It was awful, alone, in pain, uncertain, hungry . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment